Highly efficient treatment of water used in soft drinks manufacturing

Highly efficient treatment of water used in soft drinks manufacturing

Since 1998 Osmoflo has been a supplier of advanced water treatment technology for six CCA facilities around Australia.

  • Client

    Coca-Cola Amatil


  • Technology

    Nanofiltration, ultrafiltration and reverse osmosis.

  • Location

    Richlands, Queensland

  • Commissioned

    Nov 2004

  • Project Scale


Challenge Health regulations demand that water used in the production of soft drinks requires a high level of purification including the further removal of mineral salts commonly found even in potable water. Companies such as Coca-Cola can also face expensive levies when waste or reject water from manufacturing processes are discharged into sewers. The challenge therefore was to provide a system that maximised water purification while minimising the amount of reject water created through the treatment process.

Solution Osmoflo initially designed and installed a nanofiltration plant for mains water treatment at Richlands in 1999. In 2001 a reverse osmosis system to further treat concentrate or reject water from the nanofiltration process was added allowing its further reuse as process water. As a result, 95% of incoming mains water at Richlands is now used in production processes while the remaining 5% is still of quality good enough for irrigation. In 2004 Osmoflo designed and installed an additional custom ultrafiltration system which was designed for the removal of suspended matter in the feed source water.

Result Osmoflo's technology is enabling Coca-Cola to safely maximise water usage efficiency while minimising discharges. Osmoflo continues to provide operational and maintenance support.

Coca-Cola Amatil is the principal Coca-Cola licensee in Australia and independently manufactures its own soft drinks and mineral waters. Coca-Cola was introduced to Australia in 1937 and by early 1938 the first manufacturing plant began operating in Sydney.